Thursday, July 10, 2008

Is This a Missed Opportunity for Higher Ed?

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about Dorm Room Photos and since then the traffic to the blog has seen a steady increase in keyword activity surrounded by the search term "dorm"



I have seen this in the past, as there are trickles of visitors throughout the year coming from "dorm" but nothing like the traffic during the summer, year over year..

It brings me back to a couple conversations I had with students last fall while shooting their rooms. They were both from incoming Freshman. "I think we saw your blog when looking for specs on how to set up our dorm rooms, sizes, setups, etc..."

Very interesting, are Schools missing out on this opportunity? Why are all these students landing on my page and not the schools' site? I'm sure it has something to do with effective keywording... Everyone should head to Kyle James' site for some indepth SEO education to get you started...

Just something to chew on..

Now off to the airport to meet up with Brad for tomorrow's iPhone launch!!!

6 comments:

Kyle James said...

Good stuff! That's definitely some very valuable knowledge your giving away free there. Luckily for me there aren't a lot of people who really know what to do with that.

I did a little extra research and you're TOTALLY onto something... must go write a blog post now. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Bradjward said...

Here's the big takeaway-

Kids don't search for RESIDENCE HALL. They search for DORM. We get caught up in our wording and what the board of trustees wants to call it... but at the end of the day, when students are searching, none of that matters.

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

@kyle , Thanks you're right about too valuable information to serve up on a platter, that's generally not how I roll, maybe I was in a giving mood this morning? LOL

@bradjward, so TRUE, you're right I hear that a lot also, the SUITS want it to be THEIR way and that's it.. Let's face it

Eric Stoller said...

My grad degree is in student affairs. The folks in residence life have a fit if you don't call them "residence halls". I say that dorm is not a bad word, even if it is 4 letters in length ;-)

Student and their family members refer to their housing options as dorms. The proof is in the web stats.

I guess this means that I need to post more on my blog about dorms, semantics, and the reality of word usage ;-)

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

@eric so true again, time to stop controlling that message...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.