Friday, January 25, 2008

Higher Ed Advertising on NPR?

Am I missing something here???

In the last few days I have heard at least three different schools' ads on National Public Radio..

Is this where prospective students are? I can't imagine they are.

It looks as though some NPR sales rep needed to make quota and gave away spots for pretty cheap..

What do you think?

I guess I could possibly understand if they were ads for adult learning, or maybe the development office but UNDERGRAD ADMISSIONS! Yikes.

To see our entire online portfolio of admissions marketing photography goto: FJ GAYLOR Photography

5 comments:

Mike said...

I would theorize that the target audience is for the parents of potential students, not for the 15-17 year olds, themselves.

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

true indeed Mike, thanks for the comment. I guess that would be the audience they are looking for. Always the challenge in Admissions marekting, trying to reach two buyers.

Paula said...

There is also the adult degree seeking student that they could be targeting and those folks would be part of the NPR demographics.

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

Thanks so much for the comment on this one as well Paula.. I agree that "adult degree" student would probably be the most effective target audience for this kind of ad buy. Unfortunately the three ads I heard were for traditional undergrad programs.. Thanks so much for weighing in..

Amy said...

I agree with the advertising bent. I've pretty much given up on the idea of advertising directly to undergrads in a traditional way. But marketing to their parents, who hover and guide? I think this may just be the beginning. The shift will come, I believe, very shortly as that boom of kids move through the system and we are left marketing to the growing undeserved population, where parental education about the importance of education may be the biggest part of any college's message.