Wednesday, December 12, 2007

2007 Teens' Holiday Wish Lists: College Acceptance and Scores outrank Cars and Cash


I feel a rant coming on here... According to a recent poll of nearly 1700 prospective college students by our beloved friends at Kaplan, more and more kids, 59% to be exact, given the choice between a half a million bucks or getting in to their top college choice would opt for the latter. (how's that for a run-on sentence?) Students were also asked to choose between perfect SAT/ACT scores or a new car. 86% chose perfect SAT scores.

Personally I would take the perfect test scores, but pass up a half million, not a chance!!!

I guess what I am getting at is this: we are bombarded with polls day after day after day. How accurate are these polls? Of the nearly 1,700 responses in this particular poll, what percentage of them were upper crust students eyeing the Ivies and Top Tier LAC's? I bet most of them were... Wonder what the poll would give us if taken to an average middle class American Town? Sounds like a great project if I had some time to conduct.

Are we relying on all these studies too often?

12 comments:

Bradjward said...

I'm going to see how much a Facebook poll would cost for this. I totally agree with you.

Bradjward said...

Ah. $.25 minimum response price. My wife would kill me if I spent money right now between Xmas and new House. Oh well. :(

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

great idea Brad, let's do it.. I'll finance it.. Give me the demo you want and I'll run it..

Zumbooruk said...

really? that's still pretty pricy, but hey, awesome. what'll be your n. do let me know the results, and if you want to consult a student on questions or demos or something, you know how to reach me.

ps can't comment w/o google/blogger except for anonymous, which is sad. this is sam j.

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

Thanks for the info Sam.. I ran a small poll just to see quick results 100, 13-17 that's the closest I could not demo down to.. To truly get an accurate data, we would need a MUCH larger sample.

As far as commenting, I can't figure it out. It just started happening last week, didn;t make any changes. I'll have to dig deeper to fix.

Bradjward said...

@SamJackson I'm with you man, this new Google commenting is ridiculous. If I log in with my Blogger login, it will link to my blog from when I was a student blogger at my University! haha! :)

Joe - it's across the board for all blogs. I don't think you can change it :( Thanks for the results! I'm posting/linking back here right now!

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

Thanks Brad, maybe have to transition this all to a WP

Chris D'Orso said...

Stunning! Admittedly, their survey population might not be representative of students at large, though.

FJ Gaylor Photography said...

Thanks for the post Chris. Brad over at http://www.squaredpeg.com has a great writeup on this item as well.

I totally agree.

Bradjward said...

Wordpress... now that's what I'm talking about!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.