Thursday, May 18, 2006

Diversity




Here is a topic that I imagine generates a lot of conversation in the admissions and pub world.. One word DIVERSITY... When talking to potential and current students about viewbooks and other publications, one of the biggest complaints from them is they cannot stand seeing the "canned" diversity photo on the cover. You know, the one with one caucasian, one asian, one african-american, and one hispanic student... It's quite frightening, these kids see right through it.. THEY understand that racial cliques exist on campus, and quite frankly I don't think they have a problem with it at all. I mean how many schools do you know that have 25% caucasian, 25% african-american, 25% hispanic, and 25% asian, not many that I've seen. Now to my question to throw out to everyone in the higher ed arena: How does this come about, is administration telling you this is what we need to see, no matter what... I know it has to be done, but unfortunately it does not have a positive effect on the customers (prospective students) Thanks look forward to hearing what everyone has to say... to see our website goto: www.fjgaylor.com

No comments: